Building Unity: Leading a Non-Profit from Spark to Succession (Paperback
At age 16, Michael “Piecez” Prosserman, a professional b-boy (breakdancer), completed a high school project that would grow to become a hip-hop-inspired mental health charity with global reach. Through a process of continuous discovery and reflection, Prosserman and his team grew UNITY to the point where it benefited over a quarter of a million young people. In Building Unity, Prosserman breaks down the six steps to discovering responsible impact and building an organization that is growth-minded, values-based, and reflective of the needs of its community. Using stories of his own evolution, learning, and growth as a leader over 15 years, Prosserman parallels the creativity found in breakin with the innovation needed to build a sustainable non-profit.
Six steps to discovering responsible impact:
- Spark is the inspiration, the big “why,” the motivation to wake up and do something.
- Build is the testing ground to clarify ideas, understand community needs, and challenge assumptions.
- Trust involves building the culture of your organization, leading by example, and hiring people with dreams. Trust sets the stage for growth by empowering awesome people.
- Grow is about finding the right size for your organization to create a responsible impact.
- Evolve is knowing when to step back so others can step forward by building a succession plan that leaves your organization in good hands.
- Re-Ignite is building from past experience and lighting the next spark within yourself.
SAVE MONEY! PICK UP YOUR BOOK IN PERSON
Customers are welcome to arrange to pickup the book at an agreed upon location to remove shipping cost. When you checkout just select "pickup" and I will email you to confirm pickup timing and location in September. Purchased copies will also be available for scheduled pickup within the Greater Toronto Area and at the Unity Charity office.
6 X 8 in., 256pp, paper